Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Log 2: Kos

Hi

We are in Kos.

We left Simi yesterday at 6 a.m. and considered turning back because the wind was going to be on the nose. Fortunately, it turned and became a stiff 14kts aft of the beam. We sailed under mizzen and head sail and clipped along at 6kts. Good comfortable sailing. Unfortunately, as we rounded the peninsular at Ancient Knedos, it hammered us at up the 40kts. We dropped the mizzen and furled in the genoa and maintained our sea in an increasing sea.

By the time we reached the top of Kos, we had decided to keep sailing to an anchorage back in Turkey, so we continued for another 10 miles across the boarder because there were no safe anchorages at Kos and I didn't fancy getting into the harbour in those conditions.
We dropped our pick in 10 meters and hid from the gale. I was having an afternoon nap when Lester woke me with the news that we had dragged. Found weed on the anchor when I pulled it up. Anchored in a different spot and sat comfortably all night as the wind decreased.

Heard rain during the night and woke up to find the decks covered in orange mud. The sky had been an eerie orange as the sun went down; it was obviously full of dust.

At 10 a.m. we set sail for Kos. The harbour was full but there was a space for Antares. I reversed her in using the new bow thrusters. What a wonderful experience -- she went straight back with no problems. The anchor jammed and I just hit the thruster as she skewed and she straightened up. The thrusters are wonderful. Lester said not to brag about them till I have done it a second time. The other good news is that the forward head is working since I put in a dedicated seacock.

Lester and Heather loved Simi. We went by bus from the monestry and they were wrapped. It took all morning to check in and we grabbed a meal of Simi shrimp (the real little sweet ones) and sardines from our favourite restaurant. I left Heather and Lester to it and raced back to the police station where I had left my glasses when checking in. I was amused to see lester peeling his shrimp and heather feeding tails to the cats. The shrimp are so small, I don't think they would have had much of them. However, they said they enjoyed it.

Returned to find Margaretta in the bay. They were due in Kos today but I haven't seen them yet. We have just returned from the marina where I thought they might be.

The Logans will do the tourist thing tomorrow on their own and catch a ferry to Bodrun on Tuesday to see the castle and ship. It is also market day there.

We will probably sail for Leros on Wednesday.
Hope you are all well

Love
Tony

No comments: