Monday, May 28, 2007

Lettter from Gran Dan

Dear Eloise, Ashy and Abi

What a great surpise I got when I arrived at the Greek island of Paros yesterday.

I was just putting down the boat's ancnor when a whole lot of little motorboats came up behind me. They shot fireworks into the sky. I thought they must be saying "Welcome to Paros Island, Gran'Dad!"

Later I learned they weren't welcoming me at all. They were a fleet of little boats that had come for a race on the harbour. They let off the fireworks as a celebration because it was a holiday here.

Then all the church bells began to ring and jingle and jangle. It was a terrible din.
I looked up and saw that it scared the little chicks living in a nest at the top of my mast. They peeked out when the heard the fireworks going Bang! Fizz! Pop! They quickly popped inside their nest again to hide. They feel safe in there.

To get to Paros we sailed on the bluest sea I have ever seen for two days. The water was calm like glass. After sailing for one day we stopped to rest at night on a deserted island. We were the only ones there. We left early the next morning to come to Paros.

Abi has been to Paros. She came with her mommy and daddy when she was a little baby.
She swam at the beach here. We pushed her around the island in a pram. She was such a good baby. She loved playing "Whoppie!" with gran'dad. I would throw her in the air and catch her and say "Whoppie!" And she would giggle and bounce to say she wanted more. She was only a baby and couldn't talk then.
Now I feel sad when I look at her bunk and think she is not here with me this time. Then I look at Eloise's bunk and Ashy's bunks and feel sad that they are not here having fun too.
Maybe one day we will all be on Gran'Dad's boat having fun together.
I love you all lots and lots
Gran'dad

No comments: